Thursday, November 29, 2012

Defying the Spiral

I few days ago I watched a movie BYU made about the origins of the Christmas hymn Silent Night. The movie was alright, but I was surprised at the story behind it and how the song was written almost as a symbol of hope and freedom from oppression. So tonight I'd like to give a shout out of gratitude to those who have had the courage to stand up for what they know is right. Or rather I guess I want to say those that stand up for what they believe. Even if I disagree with someone usually I'll admire them for sticking to their guns and not caving, especially if they are in the minority. To use a term that I learned in Comms 101, those that choose to defy the spiral of silence. Isn't that such a cool term? Spiral of silence. All it really means though is that people have a tendency when they are in the minority to not voice their opinions. Anyway, I'm grateful for these people and the example that they provide. It helps me and inspires me to live a better and more honest life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment