Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day!

Hello everyone! Are you all excited for Labor Day? I know for a lot of people Labor Day is no big deal and to anyone starting school right after it's a horrid last reminder of what awaits for you the next day. For me though, Labor Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. For as long as I can remember, my family has gone to the Scott's picnic on Labor Day. It was a company picnic for Scott's Paper company (no relation to the Michael Scott Paper Company =D ) , which later turned into Kimberly Clark. My grandma worked there for a long, long, time.

The picnic would have a barbecue, a bouncy house, hay with money hidden in it for little kids, races, ball toss contests, and other games for kids and teenagers and the first three places would always get money. A lot of years a walked away with some big bucks (ok, like $10, but for a kid that's a good deal of money). It was held near a river where you could go play and people would always throw rocks, until some crazy neighbor guy had a fit. Most notably perhaps was that most years there was all you could eat ice cream. I remember one year, when I was about 8, my uncle, who was about 30, challenged me to see who could eat more ice cream. I gave up after about 10. I don't remember how much my uncle had but he dominated me. The picnic was also always the day before school started and so it was a nice way to kick off the end of the summer and get ready to start school.

Last year, the Kimberly Clark plant in our area closed and so the picnic ended. My parents though decided to keep up the tradition and are having a shindig at the house with most of the same activities and some friends. I think that I'll spend my day doing homework, going to FHE, and maybe, getting some ice cream.

So, I hope that everyone has a wonderful unofficial ice cream day! See you tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment