Sunday, September 2, 2012


* So I know it say that I wrote this on Sunday, but that's just because I saved it weird. I promise I wrote it Saturday.*

Alright, it's Saturday, time for me to regal you all with the wonderful tale of my first week in Provo.

       Oh, and in case any of you were wondering, the Japanese is a common way of saying nice to meet you/ how are you. A direct translation though would be "The start of something new". And, now you have that song from high school musical stuck in your head. And just in case you don't, here it is for you.

      so,  Saturday morning I got to the airport around 5 in the morning, but I was so tired and I just slept through pretty much the entire plane ride, as well as the shuttle ride to BYU. So, the shuttle took me to new heritage at BYU, but then I had to walk to my landlord's house to get my key and then down to my apartment. Thankfully, a Good Samaritan offered me a ride to my landlord's house and she doesn't live too far away from the complex. That is one thing that I really like about Provo. Sure, it's in Utah, and sure it's incredibly hot, but there are a lot of good and kind people here. 
     After I got my stuff pretty much put away I headed up to campus to get my books, find my classes, etc. I also went over to Autumn's new apartment at the Branbury where we went swimming. I was going to go home around 10 but from all of the walking that I was unaccustomed to I ended up with quit a few blisters and alsoI guess the Branbury, which is also called the "great and spacious", has a reputation of rape happening at night. In fact, I guess that it happens frequently enough that they call in "branburing" (not to be confused with bunburying, which is awesome) so I decided to just stay there. 
     Sunday I went to church at my ward which meets at the super weird time of 12:40 on campus. I've never gone to church not in a church building before, and it was a little odd. I spent the rest of the day studying a few Japanese phrases because I got an e-mail from my professor saying that the first day of class would only be in Japanese. I was also inducted by my roommate Julie and her friends into the Flub of Cork. I would tell you about it, but it is I suppose super secret and you can only be inducted to know more. I will say though that it was pretty smart, and fun.
    Monday was the first day of class, which started at the very unfortunate hour of 8:00 in the morning. Japanese without any English wasn't too bad since I'm already somewhat familiar with the language. I also had my Analyzing English, Ballroom, and New Testament classes that day. After school I went to the creamery on 9th to get some groceries, but I'm pretty sure that I'm never going there today. It was a little pricey and since it's mostly for the kids that live in the dorms, there wasn't any real food. That evening I went to a ward social at my bishop's house. My bishop lives in one of the Provo party mansions and it was the biggest house I'd ever seen. The garage was the size of a small house. We had dinner, swam, hung out, and met up with our FHE groups.
    Tuesday I had Japanese again (I've got it every day), and D&C part one, and my composing personal history class. I have a big break between my D&C class and my history class and so I was hanging out down by the RB. I saw 2 guys running up and down the stairs like 10 times in half and hour. It was intense! For those of you who don't know what those stairs look like, I'll show you. It's crazy!

     Wednesday I was able to get the rest of my stuff from Abby's sister's house, where it was very gererously being held and spent a lot time unpacking the rest of my stuff. The bishop also came over later evening and we talked for a little while.
     Thursday I went to the game, like I mentioned earlier. It was a lot of fun, and a good start for the season. It was kind of stormy during the start, but of course Washington brought the rain with it right? I also found a really cool bunny pattern to crochet.
     Friday after class I spent the majority of the day studying for my advertising exam and then took it. I did alright, I ended up getting a 86. Then I got the rest of the stuff all set up to turn it. I'll be turning the rest of it on Tuesday and so then all I'll have to do is wait. When I was done with that I went to Autumns and she, Hannah, Abby, Heidi and I hung out in their clubhouse and watched "My Best Friend's Wedding". It was really kind of funny, while we were there we met "guy in the corner", a guy who just hung out in the corner and talked to us for a while, and then "Sam the slut", a guy who came in half way through the movie and talked to us for a while. A little while after the movie Autumn, her roommate Sarah, and I went with a group in Branbury on a midnight hike up the Y. So far I've been keeping up with the tradition of going up at least once a semester.
   Today, the magical one week mark, I made the cake that I was supposedly going to make yesterday, and by made I mean mostly sat around while Autumn made it. Although, that's only because really only one person can work in the kitchen making a cake at a time. Later in the day I went ziplining with a guy I met at the hike. It was fun, but he did say one thing that kind of bothered me. This is kind of a long post though so.. that's a topic for another day.

And, that's it. The first week in the life of a second year student at BYU. Pretty exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment