Thursday, September 6, 2012

Education in Zion


I went to the education in Zion museum today and yes, I will confess that I only went for a class. Unlike the Museum of Art however (which I honestly found to be pretty boring, and I kind of even like museums) I was really interested in this one. BYU is certainly a school with humble beginnings, and some pretty awesome people. Last year, when I was at orientation, we watched a video of the history of the school but so much had been going on recently and I was really tired so I was only half paying attention. The museum of course went into a lot more detail than the video did. One of the most interesting people that I learned more about was President Brimhall, who was the third president of BYU and the guy who the building my major is in is named after. I think that all of the buildings here are named after someone, at least I don't remember seeing any that aren't. Some of the people, like the prophets, I obviously know who they are, but the people that were influential to the school I really didn't know too much about before. Except of course for Karl G. Maeser, but really that's just because he had so much to do with the founding and because everyone always quotes that saying of his about honor. You know the circle one?

"I have been asked what I mean by 'word of honor.' I will tell you. Place me behind prison walls--walls of stone ever so high, ever so thick, reaching ever so far into the ground--there is a possibility that in some way or another I may escape; but stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. Can I get out of the circle? No. Never! I'd die first!"

Pesonally, I'm pretty sure that I would leave the chalk circle long before I died, word of honor or not. So, I guess that I'm just not that honorable. Sometimes it seems like people do some pretty dumb things in the name of honor and that often that "honor" is just pride under a different name but, that's a conversation for another day. Also, I don't mean to put down Karl G. Maeser, he was a pretty awesome guy and pretty much saved BYU. I can't believe how many times BYU almost closed down though, usually because of finances. I can't remember exactly how many times, but it was like 5 or something. I know people joke about it being "The Lord's University" but he has got to watching out for this place or something. 

So, on a totally unrelated note, I watched Wait Until Dark last night. I liked it well, and the end was darker than I had anticipated it to be (both literally and figuratively). The only thing I don't really know though is why it's called Wait Until Dark. I mean, I get the dark element, but not the waiting one. 

Edit* I don't know why this is highlighted in white but I don't know how to fix it, sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment