Wednesday, May 27, 2015

we got a car!!

Wow, let me just say that this week has been crazy! We have met it seems like only extremes in people. Either super nice and friendly and interested or really really not kind of interested. One person when getting mad at his house told us "You know what you can do? You can.." and he stomped his feet " and walk to the next place." His stomping his feet reminded me of D&C and I think it's Mathew where it talks about shaking the dust off of your feet of those that reject you. Ha, ha I'm pretty sure that guy had no idea that those scriptures existed but I just remember thinking "you know, that can be arranged, and you probably wouldn't like it very well."  

We also met some super drunk veterans who tried to teach us about the blues and told/asked us probably about 50 times that we needed to have grit and did we know what that was and how it would help us. I don't think outside of the movie True Grit have I ever heard someone use that phrase so seriously and probably never in my life so many times. And I really wish now that I could watch that movie, or at least listen to the music because it is amazing. Well, the new one is. Sorry John Wayne... although technically I haven't seen that one yet so I'm sure that it is good too. Ha, that reminds me, one of the songs that we have on one of our CD's is called like "down to the river or something like that but it's the one that they sing in O Brother Where Art Thou, and every time we hear it it reminds me of it. Ha, that movie is crazy, I can't believe it took me so long to watch the whole thing. 

We did have some good lessons and experiences this week though too. The best one we had this week was with an investigator named Greg. We taught him the Restoration and after we were done with asked him what he thought of it. He said "it's true, I know it. I can feel it. I need to look into this church more." We were so surprised but such a straightforward and positive answer that for a few seconds we didn't even know what to say! We also had two really cool experiences when we were out walking around. We talked to a guy who was working on his car. He told us that he had never been to a church in his life and that he didn't understand why bad things happened to people. Like why his son had to be born with a disability. We told him about the church and the Book of Mormon (thank you Elder Summers for getting me into the habit of putting the questions of the soul in the front cover!) and how it could help answer his questions. He said that he wanted to know more about it and gave us his number. Sadly, he lived outside of our area, and was only visiting the house we saw him at but seriously, I just can't believe how some people are so prepared and ready and are seriously a fufillment of the scripture that they are kept from the truth because they know not where to find it. 

So something else exciting that happened this week was... we got a car!!
This week we had interviews with President Miller and he and and Sister Miller drove us home after because we couldn't find a ride. As we were driving towards our house he was like "I see that we're in the edge of outer darkness here" and we were like, President, that's our area you'e making fun of, we walk this road all the time! Everyone on it knows who we are." At first he was like "Great!" and then he started looking around more and was like "wait... you do? ... There's not a lot of shoulder room here...Do you need a car?" and we got one less than 24 hours later. It was pretty crazy! I feel like a total whiner we didn't even go a full transfer without one but, President Miller is even more my hero now and man is that guy efficient!  

This week we also did some service for the Molina family and the little boy Myan told us that we always came over to his house and that he wanted to come over to our house next time! His mom said that it would be boring over ther since we didn't have any toys. He said "Do you have bikes?!?" and we had to say "yes!". So now apparently he wants to come and ride bikes with us.

Well, sorry I have to run so I won't have much of a spiritual though here but something that I have been considering (sorry if I already told you this, I've been considering it for a bit now) is that while obedience will not bring righteousness (after all if that was true than the pharasees would have been righteous), righteousness brings obedience. Sometimes we look down on obedience because we assume or because we know that it alone doesn't mean much, but we forget that if we were righteous, not only would we also be obedient, but that we would want to be too! Anyway, just a thought. Sorry to have to run, talk to you all soon! 

Love, 

April 

No comments:

Post a Comment