Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day!



Hey there internet, sorry for not writing last week but I was pretty busy with church and the seminary graduation. After that I didn't feel well and then I said that I'd write it "later" and I'm sure you all know how that goes. Last week didn't consist of anything particularly interesting, a lot of work. On Wednesday though Riley and I went to Costco to get stuff for refreshments. We got all of the stuff together and were going to check out, but since I had my mom’s Costco card instead of one of my own they wouldn't let us buy the stuff. Apparently, Costco cards are "like drivers licenses and are not interchangeable". The seminary graduation went pretty well I think. We got there early and set up chairs and stuff and then afterwards we served up the cake and stuff. Derek Russell was speaking as well and so I had good company up on the stand.

Tuesday evening Riley, Cherish, Halden and I got together. We were originally planning on watching Uncle Buck since Halden and I have been joking about peanut butter and sleeping bags for a while now and I haven't seen it, but he couldn't find it so we ended  up watching the first few episodes of My Little Pony. Only after of course going to IGA to get milk for instant pudding, a cardboard pizza, and smore stuff. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about My Little Pony. It's, well, ok I guess. That reminds me though, I always think it's funny when you re-watch movies you saw as a kid or watch kid shows and you notice the clever stuff that they put in that you never got as a kid. I think some kid show creator and get pretty creative.  

Saturday night on my way home the main road was blocked for the Strawberry Festival so I decided to wait it out instead of driving around. I was able to track down Hillary and her family and watch the parade with them. On the way home I also didn't hit any traffic, which was pretty awesome.

I've been spending my free time making a dent in the giant pile of books I want to read. Just recently I finished Jurassic Park. It was similar to the movie in a lot of ways but let's just say that if the movie ended the same way there couldn't have been a Jurassic Park 2. Now I'm reading The Help. I like it pretty well. It reminds me somewhat of To Kill a Mockingbird in its themes but I don't think many books can really compare with that one, it's one of my favorites. The Help is a little sadder than I was expecting. I just read a part where *warning, very mild spoiler* the little girl that one of the main characters takes care for told her that she was her real mom and that she loved her more than her biological mom. 

Oh and somewhat exciting news, I now have the upper body strength to do half of a pull up. Not that impressive I know, but two weeks ago I couldn't even lift myself off the ground, so I'll take what I can get. I also finally got a schedule for work so now I don't have to find out a week at a time. While that was ridiculously frustrating, I'll admit that it did give me a greater appreciation for Sundays. I'll confess that in the past Sundays have sometimes been a bummer and I viewed it as a day when I went to church and then could hardly do anything else, especially if there was an extra meeting. My attitude improved a good amount over the past few years, but this lack of consistency in schedule helped as well. I always knew that Sunday was the one day that I didn't have to work, and I moved from a perspective of "the day that you have a bunch of restrictions" to a perspective of "thank heavens it's Sunday tomorrow where I know I won't have to work". A much more day of rest like attitude.

Well, I hope everyone had a good father's day and that you all told your dad's that they're awesome. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment