Sunday, August 2, 2015

we have a problem with Slurpees.

This week Sister Bowen and I learned that we have a problem with Slurpees. In the three weeks that we have been together, we have gotten them three times. Always we blame the heat and often we use the excuse that we can talk to the people inside (which we do, don't worry!) but, we have recently made a decree that it is getting out of hand and have banned slurpees for at least the foreseeable future. As you might have guessed, this is what I have been reduced to talking about because it seems like not a lot has happened this week.
 This week we had a lesson with our investigator Karen who is obsessed with the second coming. She is afraid of / excited for all of the fire and brimstone and all of that. She also love The Book of Mormon but, thinks that if she just believes it in her heart that is good enough and she doesn't need to go to church, get baptized, make and keep covenants etc. So, it's a work in process. It's crazy how many people don't' seem to believe that we have to actually do things here in this life. That if we really did believe it in our hearts that our actions would follow. I guess I never really realized  before I started understanding more of what other Christians believe how unique the idea is that Heavenly Father put us here for a purpose, to learn and become better. Not to suffer and grovel for his forgiveness so maybe we can make it back to heaven. Not that forgiveness isn't a part of it, but it's an entirely different mindset, which makes a big difference.
 This week we also had exchanges, Our STL's are Spanish speaking again but luckily I got to stay in our "English" area. We had a lesson with one girl who can understand English but can't speak it. So she couldn't talk to me and I couldn't really talk to her because I didn't know what she was saying. So.. she and Hermana Espinoza had a lesson... We also had a lesson with Diana. I don't remember if I've talked about her before but she and her sister are dating members, one of whom is in Brazil on a mission. She has a date for the 8th and so far things are going well. We were able to teach the word of wisdom which in my opinion is the trickies lesson because so many people have trouble with it and she really doesn't have many concerns, and she said that she is excited to get baptized, so that is good. Hopefully her sister will come more too. I have a slight concern that she's doing it more for the boyfriend than for God but hopefully I'm wrong.
 Oh, I also had shawarma this week. It tasted exactly like a gyro. I honestly don't even know what the difference is. So it was good but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more, I don't know, different. There are a lot of interesting places to eat around here and I think I told you that we go out to eat a lot so hopefully I'll get the chance to try some more interesting food. I also went to Texas Roadhouse for the first time. I told Sister Bowen that I was just waiting to go because I knew subconsciously that someday I would be in Texas and that's where you have to have it.
 John continues to be super cool. We had a lesson with him on Thrusday and were planning to put him on date for the 14th of August. He told us though that he got his discharge papers that morning and would be going back to Las Vegas on the 3rd, after his surgery the next Thursday. We were kind of bummed but he said that he wanted to continue to meet with missionaries when he got home so that was good news at least. About an hour later though on his way home he sent us a text and asked if it were possible for him to get baptized on the 1st before he left. And that his friend Adam who referred him to the church wanted to fly in for the service. Ha, ha so we said yes of course but then started freaking out when we realized how soon that was and how much more we had to teach. So we may or may not have texted him the Word of Wisdom (because in order to get baptized you have to be living it for a certain period of time) but don't worry, we actually taught it on Sunday and because He's awesome he was fine with it all. He found out yesterday though that he actually doesn't have to leave until the 12th so naturally his new date is the 11th. Probably the best FHE activity every right?!
 We did a few hours of service this week helping a recent covert and her daughter Raven helping them get ready to move They are moving into seriously the middle of nowhere. It takes almost 2 hours for us to get to their new property.
 We also had interviews with President Miller this week. When we told him that we had 16 investigators he asked what our secrets were. Ha, an area the size of Canada? Too bad too a good number of them aren't progressing. He also told me to read the mission library so I've started that. I only have two of the books but they're the long ones and I'm sure it won't be hard to find the other two.
 This week I gave a talk in sacrament about finding happiness in the gospel so that's what I've been thinking about recently. There's a cool scripture in psalms 126:3 that basically says "The Lord has done good things for us, and we are glad". I talked about how we need to remember the happiness that we've felt before, focus on gratitude, recommit to consecration, and become brand loyal to the gospel  (that's how you work consecration and missionary work into a talk secretly). It really has had me thinking though, Heavenly Father wants us to be happy, that's his goal for us. All we have to do is look for it and act on what we need to bring it to us.
 Anyway, I hope you all are doing well and have lots of fun summer plans. Happy soon to be August!
 Love,
 April
 oh also, attached is a picture of our church building. It's not a great picture, I just took it real quick to show you what it looks like so I'll have to take a better one later. I guess it's actually the first LDS building in Texas. It kind of reminds me of a cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment