Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Time is relevant

So who would have thought that the busiest time at the gym would be at 8:00 at night? You would think that people would be eating dinner, relaxing, and getting ready for bed then. Well, in a regular world, they would be. This though, is the college world, and time here works differently. It's kind of weird to think about. Two of my roommates had church meetings tonight at 10:00 at night. In the "regular" world that would be absurd, but here it's just when people have time, and since we're relatively young and everyone has a lot to do, everyone is still up. I remember last year I was over at a friend's house at around 11:00 (and the very fact that I was there that late demonstrates my point as well) and someone from the ward knock on the door with a question about something or other. They just assumed (and correctly so) that the apartment would be up and active. During the summer when it wasn't freezing outside and I didn't have school the next day (particularly on Thursdays since I didn't have class on Friday) I would occasionally call people up at midnight and ask then if they wanted to do something, and I know people have asked me at like 9:00 at night. "So what are you doing tonight" as if it were 4:00 in the afternoon. It's just interesting to think about. Time here is totally relative. Not even in how long or short something is, but rather in if it's late or not. And with those wonderful words, it is late, and so I bid you a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment